LAFF follows the NGFFL Rule Book (links below), with minor deviations for league play, e.g., there is no overtime period in regular season league games. LAFF referees will enforce all rules of play and penalties assessed during games, including under certain circumstances, recommending further disciplinary actions to the LAFF Board.
LAFF has specific rules that govern league play and mirror the game rules followed at annual tournaments sanctioned by the NGFFL. Many of these rules are identical to rules in college football such as:
- QB is across the line of scrimmage (and therefore cannot make a legal forward pass) if either of his feet are across the line.
- Receiver needs to have one foot in bounds with possession of ball for a legal catch.
- Downfield blocking is allowed after a receiver makes a catch or during a running play.
Rules that are unique to flag football include:
- Only one running play per series is allowed where the ball crosses the line of scrimmage not via a legal forward pass.
- There is no penalty for intentional grounding by the QB.
- No ‘flag guarding’ is allowed preventing flags from being removed.
- Receivers cannot contact defenders when coming off the LOS. Once offensive receivers pass or occupy the same yard line as a defender, that defender cannot obstruct the receiver’s opportunity to move freely about the field.
- When rushing as a defender, you must be beyond the neutral zone — 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Other defensive players may not cross the line of scrimmage until the ‘primary’ rusher has crossed the line of scrimmage first.
Rule change proposals/suggestions are welcomed from active league members in good standing at any time and will be reviewed by the Assistant Commissioner. If deemed relevant to improving/enhancing the game, rule changes will then be voted on and must be approved by a majority vote of the board, and then considered by active members in good standing. If approved by the membership, the rule change becomes effective with the next scheduled game. Updated rules/rule changes will be communicated to all active league members.